Monday, August 31, 2009

A Sustainable Weekend.

Despite working this weekend, I have not had a weekend off in quite some time, Jill and I were able to do some great things together. Friday evening the Circle of Hope Urban Farm Team presented a screening of King Corn. The team brought produce to sell for a donation. We scored some great peppers and eggplants.

King Corn is a good starting place if you are at all interested in why buying local and cooking at home is a good idea. King Corn is a documentary made by some young college grads trying to see where their food comes from. They discover that it all starts in Iowa, and decide to give agri-business a try. The movie is a good place to start, but there are a few books I'd read instead; Michael Pollan's Omnivores Dilemma and Wendell Berry's The Unsettling of America.

Saturday after work I finally was able to use the eggplant that I picked up the week before. One of my favorite meals has always been Eggplant Parmesan, but I had never made it. Saturday I decided to take a stab at this dish. It turned out well. I used a modified recipe from the Betty Crocker Cook Book. The breading was made from organic farm fresh eggs, home made bread crumbs, and hormone/anti-biotic free milk. Jill always freezes the heals of bread, or those last few old pieces of bread you can't really make a sandwich out of to make croutons or bread crumbs. This is a good idea.

The weekend together ended on Sunday as Jill and I made it to the Headhouse Market.

2 comments:

pluralform said...

Sounds like you guys had a great weekend. I haven't seen King Corn yet but I did just recently see Food Inc. That movie is truly sobering and made me really want to know where my food is actually coming from.

Matt said...

I love King Corn. It definitely changed a lot for me concerning food when I first saw it almost three years ago. It's been a progression ever since that has been aided significantly by the fact that I'm now married to someone who shares many of the same values.