Saturday, August 29, 2009

Home Made

Hello,
Mrs। Jill Robinson here…

My husband and I like making things on our own, whether it be salvaged window frames turned into art or old National Geographic magazines into post cards। Recently we decided to take two items and make them ourselves. It not only saved us money, but also gave us the satisfaction of using something we made.

A couple of months ago, we noticed that the price of granola was to steep for us to buy every week. After consulting with friends and the internet, we compiled ingredients and started to make our own. We use old fashioned oats, flax seeds, walnuts (or whatever nuts we have), chunky peanut butter, vanilla, cinnamon, pure sugar, simple or maple syrup, and oil. We mix the wet and dry ingredients separately and then mix them together in a lasagna pan until coated. We put the mixture in the oven at 350° F for an hour or so and stir it every 15 min. We let it cool and store it in a glass container. We love that the process is so easy and that we know what is going into it.

I have been wanting to try making home made laundry detergent for a while now. I have heard that the powdered variety is really simple to make and lasts for a long time. I took on the challenge. The recipe that I found online called for Borax, washing soda, and a bar of soap. I found all the ingredients in the grocery store for under $6. Each batch calls for a mixture of 1 cup of Borax, 1 cup of washing soda, and one bar of soap grated. I stored it in a Tupperware container. I use 1 to 2 tablespoons of the detergent per load depending on the size and soiling. This detergent is also great for all those soap slivers that get too small to use in the shower. Just break them into small pieces and mix them in. The detergent works really well for us.

We both love DIY projects and can’t wait until the next one.

2 comments:

Rebecca Orr said...

Hi Jill! You don't know me, but DJ and I went to highschool together. I read your blog today. I really like the idea of making your own laundry soap and granola!! I think that I am going to try this at home for my family. We will definately be saving money! Thanks for the great read...I look forward to hearing more from you and Dj!
Bekki

Unknown said...

I love this, DJ & Jill! I have thought about the process of DIY laundry detergent...but now, you have inspired me. :) Hope you are well. (Or, as they say in Lancaster, "hope yous are well.")