Thursday, October 22, 2009

Black Bean Burger

DJ and I love burgers. I think it may be the one thing that keeps him eating meat. Vices aside, I have been wanting to make a healthy alternative to our not-so-healthy favorite. I looked online for the how-to and compiled my own recipe according to what we already had. This is how it turned out.

1 can of black beans rinsed
1 slice of bread toasted
1/2 tomato diced
2 small carrots diced
1 egg
1/3 onion diced
cumin, pepper, garlic
oil for cooking

I first put the toasted bread in the food processor to make bread crumbs. Then I processed the veggies with a couple of pulses to get
them into small pieces. Next, I poured in the beans, egg, and spices. Again, I processed the mixture until it was together, but not a paste. You want to have some texture, so you could even mix in some whole beans after you have finished processing. I formed 6 small patties and fried them in our skillet. I would suggest refrigerating them before you cook them because mine kinda fell apart. However, they were so tasty. I ate mine with cheese and a spicy pepper mayo on a potato roll.

We kept the leftovers in the fridge and ate them all week. I am sure you could freeze them as an alternative to store-bought veggie burgers. These are cheaper and in most cases tastier.

here is the newest incarnation with bell peppers!














Happy eating.

No comments: