Monday, August 24, 2009

First things first

This is a new blog. I set it up about a year ago and never posted anything because I was unsure of what topic I'd cover. Now I hope to write mostly about my experiences in the kitchen and around the house. As a newly married man my wife and I stay in and cook often. We come up with some interesting dishes. We also are trying to live a more DIY lifestyle. Expect posts covering a range of topics.

What inspired this? The tomato sandwich and potato salad I just enjoyed . . .

Several months ago I planted some heirloom tomatoes in our small backyard. I love these plants, and have watched them finally bear some fruit. The black kiern tomatoes have been providing about one or two ripe tomatoes a day for about a week or two. My wife and I anxiously waited for the arrival of these beautiful fruits. They are here.

Both the sandwich and potato salad utilized these homegrown beauties, as well as, some basil that we potted in our kitchen window. The potato salad was several days old. I didn't really like it at first taste. But this morning I threw some Parmesan cheese in and that seemed to be what was missing. If we had some dill that would have really made the salad.

The sandwich was pretty standard. A few nice hunks of tomato, basil, garlic, salt, pepper and some Laughing Cow cheese. I really like this cheese, and there is a great Halal shop in my neighborhood that sells it for under $3.00. This shop is a hidden gem. It is in the back of a beautiful Mosque. The mosaics and murals on this building really brighten up the post-industrial wasteland that is Olde Kensington.

2 comments:

Matt said...

Awesome. I'll be looking forward to reading your findings.

Rebecca Orr said...

Hey DJ. I read and ejoyed the blog. I know we haven't seen each other since highschool. It's so great to hear that you have got married and you guys are doing so well. Anyway, thanks for the good read...and I will keep on reading!